Thursday, December 11, 2008

It's my inalienable right to post this blog. :)

I've been so full of Christmas cheer lately, but now for something completely different:

I am not, and never will be, a feminist.

I care about equal rights for all people - regardless of race, gender, age, or creed. However, I am not a feminist. I am a woman, but women's rights aren't an issue that gets me riled up. I'm not hot and bothered over abortion law. It's not the most important thing that needs to be upheld/reformed (depending on your view), at least not in my opinion.

Because that's the key to my view on the beauty of America. We have the ability to choose our own beliefs. We can think what we want, whether our beliefs are based in faith, family tradition, "facts", what the media says, being too lazy to care, or whether we like a particular public figure's persona.

That's what America is about. Both sides of things call the other "closed-minded", but I really think that the people throwing that term around are the most closed-minded of all. I wish they would stop preaching from their soapboxes and understand that both opinions are valuable and deserve to be taken with a little perspective. Engage in discussion, but don't discount the other side wholly - and don't belittle them as a person just for disagreeing.

Though I suppose that their right to be smug, self-righteous and condescending goes along with all the other freedoms we have as American. So disagree with me, if you would like. Please do; it's your right.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

I think you've been in New York too long because there is no description of said feminist. Good thing you'll be returning to the South soon.