Thursday, January 1, 2009

Wednesday is "New Year's is actually on Thursday" Day

Okay, so first of all, you're probably wondering what the heck kind of title you're reading, unless of course you follow the Ruby Turtle Hippie Times. And that's because the author of said times is your guest blogger today!!!! My name is Samantha. Emily and I met while in college at OU. We're proud alumni of Sigma Phi Lambda, PLBD, connoisseurs of buckets of tea and lovers of broadway, shoes and most recently Edward. Oh yeah, and we happen to be great friends. I mean hello she was in my wedding people. That is commitment.

I first owe my apologies to Emily because I forgot to post yesterday. For some reason, at work yesterday I kept thinking it was Tuesday. So obviously, it wasn't time for my educational post.

Now for the newcomers, I write featured posts Wednesdays and Fridays. On Wednesday as I mentioned before, it is educational. And this is my first time ever to miss a Wednesday as well as my first time to guest blog. So imagine the bittersweetness of this moment. It really isn't quite as tragic as I make it sound. But I'm from the South and we love a good tragedy in the South. So let's just roll with it okay?

Okay so today in true educational form, I'll be educating you on what else?

NEW YEARS DAY

  • New Year's Day is the first day of the new year. On the modern Gregorian calendar, it is celebrated on January 1,as it was also in ancient Rome (though other dates were also used in Rome).
  • January 1 marks the end of a period of remembrance of a particular passing year, especially on radio, television, and in newspapers, which usually starts right after Christmas Day. Publications often have year-end articles that review the changes during the previous year. Common topics include politics, natural disasters, music and the arts, and the listing of significant individuals who died during the past year.
  • This day is traditionally a religious feast, but since the 1900s has become an occasion for celebration the night of December 31, called New Year's Eve.
  • It is considered to be a sign of good luck to be kissed at the stroke of midnight at the start of the new year.
  • It is also customary to make New Year's resolutions, which individuals hope to fulfill in the coming year. The most popular resolutions in the western world include to quit smoking, stop excessive drinking of alcohol, lose weight, and get physically fit. I myself have resolved to lose weight and look smokin' for a particular wedding that is set for the summer.
  • The Rose Bowl Parade can be viewed on New Years Day as well as multiple bowl games. I'll be watching both.
  • New Year's is also the beginning of multiple bowl games, most notably the national championship, where our alma mater, The University of Oklahoma Sooners will face the University of Florida's Gators. GO BIG RED! Beat the Gators!!
Well kids that's education and that's my post. Happy New Year!!!

No comments: