Saturday, January 24, 2009

Across the boroughs

I have had the most utterly random day. Let me explain:

I woke up in Queens, where I had stayed the night before at my friend Jericho's place, along with another of our friends, Christa. This was my first outing to Queens, as a matter of fact.

Then we decided, after a lazy morning of Facebooking and Googling ourselves, that we should go to Ikea in Red Hook, Brooklyn. (That's where the Real World cast was for the current season, just as an aside.) I am proud to say that I only purchased one thing, a really adorable pillow for the couch. We also had the perfect cheap lunch at Ikea - $2.25 for a hot dog, chips and a drink. Not too shabby.

We had been discussing the fact that there are multiple Urban Outfitters in Manhattan, yet none in Brooklyn, which we thought was strange. In fact, that is false. I used trusty Google Maps on my phone to find out that there is an Urban on Atlantic. So we drove there, too. (Jericho has a car in the city - crazy, I know.) After that rendezvous turned out to be unfruitful because we couldn't find a parking spot, we decided to continue our adventure elsewhere.

Christa and Jericho wanted to go to Home Goods to find stuff they didn't get at Ikea, so off we went. This time our trek took us to Long Island - Port Washington to be exact. At Home Goods, I really wanted to buy a lot of random crap - including a wooden duck painted purple, with a little wooden tag hanging from its neck stating, "My name is Alice." It was so ugly it was cute, but not $14 worth of cute. So Alice the duck is still at Home Goods in Port Washington.

Then we were super classy and had dinner at Taco Bell, because we realized that there aren't many fast food places in the City, and that was an experience we felt was appropriate for our very random day. Then we returned to the various boroughs we call home (Queens for Jericho, Brooklyn for Christa, and Manhattan for me).

We decided that we need to have a Five Borough Weekend soon. I mean, we hit up three of them today, but could not come up with a good reason to venture into Staten Island (is there really ever a reason?) or the Bronx. I have a feeling an outing will be planned to accomplish this feat soon, however. We are good at themed outings.

For the rest of the evening, I am crashing on my couch. I think you might giggle if you saw what I was surrounded by. It's all very Emily. I'm wearing my Spring Awakening shirt with my PJs, and I just got through practicing a couple of songs from The Last Five Years for my vocal performance class. I've been flipping through my Broadway history book, and I'm about to watch the HBO recording of Angels in America.

Random and assorted, indeed. But I think it makes for a pretty solid Saturday.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

vocal performance class?????

do tell!