Sunday, January 25, 2009

We did have some remarkable times.

A week ago today, I was sitting at the final performance of Spring Awakening. The entire experience was exhilarating and uplifting while also being very touching and bittersweet.

I don't have a lot to say about it, because the whole day was just beyond words, really. There are some details that I have to mention, though. Walking into the theater, you could feel the energy. It was obvious that there were no (or at least very few and far between) first-time viewers there. Everyone was already a big fan, and they all treated one another like a sort of family, or at least recognized the communal love for the show.

I had a pretty great seat, in the Orchestra in row F. Actually, I would say that it was an amazing seat, because I was on the same row as the Original Broadway Cast members who had come to see the final performance. As if seeing the last show wasn't awesome enough, I could simply look to the left and see their reactions to everything throughout the night.

I won't review the performances, because the whole show was simply great. Every song was greeted with a standing ovation from at least part of the audience - ranging from the typical length of applause expected after a number to what was probably 5 minutes after "Totally Fucked." Oh yeah, and then they did a reprise and sang the last verse/chorus again. Along with the entire audience. That means that I was rocking along to the song with the current cast, the original cast, and the creators of Spring Awakening. It was hands down an amazing experience.

And then afterwards, of course there were a lot of tears from the cast, crew and creative team as they took their final bows and said their thanks. Duncan Sheik even pointed out something I had noticed when going into the theater - how lovely it was that the snow decided to fall and bells were tolling from somewhere as the evening began.

I feel so lucky to have gotten to be a fan of the musical and live in New York during its run so I could see it multiple times. This time was definitely quite memorable. (It could only have been made better if Matt Doyle had been on as Melchior. Right, Meg?)

I don't have much commentary - there's plenty out there if you want a play by play, and there are videos of the curtain call speeches on YouTube, if you're interested. I did want to share some of my favorite pictures from the night, though.


There is Duncan Sheik (music), Steven Sater (book) and Tom Hulce (producer). Also, Alexandra Socha is really excited for some reason.

Hunter Parrish is a really nice guy. You could tell that his voice was really strained by the end of his run, but he is an impressive actor. All in all, I saw him as Melchior 3 times, so I figured I should at least get one picture with him.

Gabe Violett is the reason I had a ticket to the performance! I was talking to him after a different performance and some of us were saying that we were sad we wouldn't be at the final show. He then informed us that they had released more tickets that day, so I went online and found one! He plays Otto, by the way.

Gerard Canonico is one of my favorite cast members. When I first saw him as Moritz, I was a little skeptical, mostly because he looks and plays things differently than John Gallager or Blake Bashoff, but he really grew on me. Not to mention that he comes across as a very genuine person.

Blake Daniel has a beautiful voice, and he always seems so happy. He was the only performer I saw in the same role at every single performance I went to, and I can proudly report that he never once disappointed.

If you don't know how much of a fan I am of this guy, then where the heck have you been? He seriously has the best voice I have ever heard. I sincerely hope that at least one of his projects he is working on goes well for him, because the world (Broadway especially) needs to see more of Matt Doyle.

No comments: