Tuesday, October 7, 2008

All the city streets a wondrous chorus singing...

The green autumnal parks conducting
All the city streets a wondrous chorus singing
All these poses oh how can you blame me
Life is a game and true love is a trophy
-- Rufus Wainwright, Poses


Yesterday, as I was walking home, a beautifully brown leaf drifted its way down from the branch of a small tree lining 86th street and onto the fringe of my jauntily-draped tartan scarf. For me, that means Autumn is officially here in NYC. As if the quickly declining temperatures, mannequins decked in layer upon layer, and Pumpkin Spice lattes at Starbucks didn't give you the clue already.

"Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address. On the other hand, this not knowing has its charms."
-- Joe Fox, You've Got Mail

However, unlike Mr. Fox in You've Got Mail, school supplies are the last thing I want to think of in conjunction with this fabulous season. It makes me itch to leave the office, which is probably a good thing for my productivity. Pauses for blogging aside, I'm being ultra-efficient so I can get out of here as quickly as possible each day and go experience my favorite city in one of my favorite months. (There's a tie between October and April, if you must know.)

I know I'm about a week behind, but here's a few tidbits and anecdotes regarding the way my October has blown in:
  • It seems that Christmas comes earlier and earlier each year. Of course, I'm never one to be left behind the times, so I've made my early yuletide contribution by starting my Christmas wish list. But more about that later.
  • I will divulge one thing on that list - something I'm taunted with by the likes of Bloomie's and Bendel's. I love scarves. And hats. But mostly scarves. There are so many lovely ones my shopaholic heart is lusting after. (Mother, you'll be proud to know I gave in only in the form of a $5 scarf from a street fair, even though the $170 DVF ones were calling my name.) So, there's one item on my wish list: a fancy scarf (admittedly, I don't need one quite that expensive).
  • The reason I'm even in the neighborhood to be tempted and teased so regularly by my favorite retail sandtraps is that I've basically been living at the Apple Store on 5th. Poor LaMaque (my MacBook) is feeling slightly under-the-weather - it is fall, after all - and I've had to make multiple trips to get him back on the up-and-up. He'll be good as new soon, though!
  • Speaking of LaMaque, there's a funny story about how his name came to be. Let me know if you're interested. It reveals too much of my nerdiness to warrant posting here.
  • The crazies come out in October, apparently. The other day, as I was walking down the block, a pack of teenage boys ran past me dressed in frog costumes and afro wigs. What?
  • It's OU/tx week, y'all. Though I am a native Texan, I absolutely abhor the burnt orange travesty of a university that is home to the longhorns. Though I'm sad to miss out on the West End/Fair Park festivities this year, the rivalry is alive at the office. I decorated the desk of a UT-grad coworker today, and sent her a lovely little ditty.
  • My friend Flavia and I went to Forbidden Broadway this weekend. I'm so glad I got to see the last reincarnation of this silly Off-Broadway show. I particularly loved the jab at In the Heights that reminded me of "Camp" and this diminutive diva's spoof of Kristen Chenoweth's "Glitter and Be Gay." Genius. And I got all the jokes - am I part of the theater cognoscenti now? Does that mean I should start spelling it "theatre"?
  • I had a conversation on the Subway today with one of those wacky protester types. You know, the ones who stand around selling political buttons and toss out words like "jingoistic"?
  • Why is it that everyone at work thinks I'm blonde? And I don't mean because of the way I act/talk. No blonde jokes in there at all. My hair is red, people. On the blonde spectrum, it's strawberry at the most. At least my handsome stranger complimented my RED hair the other day.
  • Finally, in the everyday and mundane category, I'm a big-time media consumer lately.
Books: I'm rereading Velvet Elvis, by Rob Bell, which I recommend highly. This is the 4th time I've read it. I'm also very into the Tales of the City series, by Armistead Maupin. I also read at least a chapter of the Book of Job each night. It's my favorite.

Music: It's old, but you have to listen to Corrine Bailey Rae. Especially "Choux Pastry Heart" and "Three Little Birds". Another song I can't get out of my head is "I'd Rather Be Sailing/Set Those Sails," a beautiful duet from "Make Me A Song." And of course, I'm still on my MGMT kick.

TV: As much as I didn't want to do it, I've once again joined the ranks of people who schedule their evenings based on what's on TV. I think it's part of being a "grown up" in the "real world". Ha. Anyway, I'm a regular viewer of Gossip Girl, Pushing Daisies, Ugly Betty and Private Practice. Sorry to say, but Grey's jumped the shark. I'm over it.

Movies: Like I can afford $12 for a ticket? Well, maybe I can, but I'd rather spend that money on live theatre. (See what I mean about the spelling. So much classier.)


Ok folks, that's all I have for now. Vast improvement over my last few posts, no? I'm balancing this whole city love/no love for my job thing. More updates to come.



1 comment:

Samantha said...

Tell your mom I will take a Nintendo DS.

And have you made arrangements to see LB? It goes away in 12 days. At least one of us has to see Bailey Hanks.

And you're right about the crazy people. I mean don't get me wrong, I have been known to be a little emo on occasion. But wearing an outfit where my innards pop out everywhere is a little ridiculous. We emo's have our standards too.

And I'm a way big fan of you. Of course I hope you know that.