Friday, November 21, 2008

On the Town

I saw On the Town tonight at the New York City Center Encores. This may not seem like something momentous, because I go to shows all the time. But it is.

On the Town just so happens to be one of my favorite musicals. (Boiled down, it's about three sailors who have 24 hours leave to spend in New York City.) However, I only knew it from the music and the old movie with Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra. Regardless, it has held a dear place in my heart for years now. I'm not even exactly sure how I discovered it, but no matter. I even have a snowglobe that plays the iconic "New York, New York, a helluva town..." refrain.

It was put on as part of the Bernstein festival, honoring the music of Leonard Bernstein, with a limited 6-performance engagement. I'm so glad I got to see it done live, and done well. The music is great, the story is fun, the ballets are lovely, and I would simply adore to sing Hildy's part. (Hear that, Mr. Producer? Cast me now, please.)

That's all, really. I just thought you should know, because this little piece of excitement made me a very happy camper.

Tomorrow I'll do my own version, along with some of the girls from the office. We're going to do a whirlwind touristy day in New York for ourselves, starting with brunch at Sarabeth's. Yum.

(Also yum... singing, dancing sailors. That's all I have to say about that.)

No comments: