Sunday, November 23, 2008

Boomer Effin' Sooner

As if the amazing win over Texas Tech wasn't enough, my football watching experience was made complete by the following event:

My friend Lauren and I met up at the Press Box, where the OU Club of NY gathers to watch Sooner football games. This just so happened to be the biggest game of the year, so the fans were out in full force. The game was the sole focus of everyone's attention, except for one guy.

He decided that he would like to further entertain the crowd and took it upon himself to break into song. We discovered this when we hear a drunken refrain of Josh Groban's "You Raise Me Up" being belted from the group down the bar from us.

Unfortunately, the bartender was no fan. (He was also a fun-hater, but that's another story.) He informs our little virtuoso that "You can audition for American Idol down the street," but that he had to stop singing there.

The singer was classy enough to cut it off there rather than causing an altercation, but once the bartender had meandered on, he shared his thoughts with his friends, and everyone else within earshot. His opinion? "He's a ho-mo. He's doing homo things. All I'm saying is that's a great song."

Fantastic. Nearly as fantastic as the final score: 65-21.

Oh, and apparently I'm heartless. Not content to simply beat Tech, we needed to demolish and embarrass them. I think I caught Lauren's friend who met up with us off-guard when I announced that "I want to see a child cry." Oops. I mean, OU fans go big or go home, right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, on an unrelated note:



1 comment:

j.burrell said...

Dang. Right.
Boomer. freakin' Sooner. FISH-ES!!!

and i LOOOVVVVEEE your countdown.