Thursday, July 17, 2008

We're after the same rainbow's end.

----------------------------------------
Holly Golightly: You know those days when you get the mean reds?
Paul Varjak: The mean reds, you mean like the blues?
Holly Golightly: No. The blues are because you're getting fat and maybe it's been raining too long, you're just sad that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid and you don't know what you're afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling?
Paul Varjak: Sure.
Holly Golightly: Well, when I get it the only thing that does any good is to jump in a cab and go to Tiffany's. Calms me down right away. The quietness and the proud look of it; nothing very bad could happen to you there. If I could find a real-life place that'd make me feel like Tiffany's, then - then I'd buy some furniture and give the cat a name!

----------------------------------------


My love for all things Audrey, especially Breakfast at Tiffany's, is something I could discuss ad nauseum. But that's not the point of mentioning this scene now. The point is that I feel very Holly Golightly currently. Most of that's due to the fact that I have no furniture and I'm living out of suitcases. Getting ready in the morning is reminscent of the scene where Holly is preparing for a visit to Sing-Sing, only without the dreamy Paul Varjak. Sigh.

And then there's my adorable fire escape "balcony." You better believe I'm going to sit out there at some point and sing Moon River. I hope the people below don't mind too terribly. But beyond these small external similarities, I'm really not much like Holly at all. I'm not this poor lost soul who doesn't know what she's running from or where she's running to. However, I do get the mean reds and I would gamble to say that a visit to Tiffany's would calm those right down. And, like Holly, I did move to NYC from Oklahoma. Hmm, maybe I'm onto something with this comparison.

That's just it. I feel like I'm onto something here with this move, with the new job, with this change in my life. I think it's going to be great. I can't wait for it to fully feel like home. That'll come soon. In the meantime, follow this link to see pictures of what I've been doing lately, and of the work-in-progress that is my city abode:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2231624&l=14105&id=9600062

For the weekend, I plan to meet up with some old friends who are visiting the city and some new friends I'm about to start work with, finish my prep work for the conference (what I was doing before I got distracted and started blogging), and treating myself to a much deserved pedicure. Maybe I'll even throw a visit to Tiffany's in there somewhere.



1 comment:

Jordan said...

Wow, my love. It's all finally official. You're a New Yorker. I still can't really wrap my mind around it, but I do know that I am more excited/happy for you than I could possibly express!

And just as a correction to your "don't forget those of us from your past" statement, who said you were a part of my past? The way I see it, you're a pretty definite part of my present and a permanent fixture of my future.

And there's nothing you can do about it, so there. :)