Monday, September 8, 2008

Reading 'Life of Pi' has me all existential...

Two in one day? I know, what is going on? I wanted to share a conversation:

Me: "Do you ever get that feeling where your heart is just aching for something but simultaneously you are really happy about life in general? So hard to describe. There's this crazy push/pull phenomenon. I'm content, but wishful. I'm challenged, but rewarded. I'm waiting, but not hesitating. I'm a conundrum. Ha!"

Biffel: "Hahaha. My Emily, you have described a feeling that C.S. Lewis asserts is only possible in the human race. I feel like anyone who has some existential awareness will long for more, regardless of how wonderful things may be going. In that vein, it's usually the higher evolved individuals who are engaging in worthwhile things that bring them happiness. The carnal side is pleased by the pleasing and the spirit side yearns for its home.

...life!"

I like conversations like this. Your thoughts?

1 comment:

Samantha said...

I couldn't have said it better...not that I'm said biffel in this conversation. But whoever he/she is, has a very good head on their shoulders.

And to add a british flip to things, I say: Here, here! old chap!