Monday, September 8, 2008

Growing pains.

I'm writing this from a Starbucks on the Florida State University campus, where I'm camped out with my work laptop, a teeny tiny bottle of water, and mountains of files. It's an interesting and welcome change of pace from the streets of New York, that's for sure.

It's nice to be in the South - familiar restaurants on the side of the road, Southern accents (okay, not precisely like mine, since it is Florida versus Texas), and a different kind of sunshine.

It's nice to be riding around in a car. Taxis just don't count. It's not the same unless you're in the passenger seat with the windows up, the AC cranked, and fun music on the radio. I even had the familiar dinging from the car reminding me to buckle my seatbelt, which reminded me of things I hadn't even realized I missed.

It's nice to be on a college campus. FSU is no OU (nothing ever will be), but I love the energy of 40,000 undergrads carrying on their collegiate lives around me. I love the football talk, the stately brick buildings, the chalkings, dodging bicyclists, textbooks, Greek letters on everything, school logos on everything, posters advertising campus events, the whole thing.

It makes me think that it's about that time... (the following was stolen from somewhere, I don't remember where. But it applies)
"Time to get back to where people believe in dollar beers, college bands for friday night entertainment, tailgating, and following your team to Dallas. It's time to return to a place where you have to drive yourself from point A to point B, where the Huff is everyone's local gym, and a place where beer pong is a form of social interaction. Time to return to place in which you bought your friends, they like you for the letters on your shirt and style you have. Time to get back to the 6th best town in the USA."

That's just over 2 weeks away, my chance to go back. I can't wait. But there's plenty to tide me over until time. For example, this crazy week. I return back to NYC from Florida tomorrow (on a 7 a.m. flight, ugh), and continue to work my little tushy off. Though, Sarah and I have plans for much needed and deserved pedicures. Small victories, people. Then Wednesday, Christa and I take the short trip to Newark for a Celine Dion concert with the tickets we got for FREE. You are jealous, admit it. Then Thursday is one more long day of work, work, working away, which I will do for as long as it takes to ensure that I don't have to work this weekend. Because, Friday Meg gets here. And the whirlwind adventure begins. I'll detail you with the aftermath, but just know that it includes a lot of Broadway. As in, I'm going to 3 shows in a span of 5 days. Then the next week is our final push before our first application deadline. AND THEN, it's back to the homeland. I'm kind of obsessed with this right now, so it might be a theme for the next 17 days.

Boomer Sooner. (Oh, and just for today, Go 'Noles.)


2 comments:

Samantha said...

You call Norman your homeland.

You realize that Norman is in Oklahoma and NOT Texas.
I just wanted to point that out.

Katherine said...

being in phi lamb without you is really hard. One of the things I miss the most is hearing you sing. You have one of the prettiest voices I've ever heard and it always brought me so much peace to stand near you in chapter, knowing I would get to hear you sing.

I CAN'T wait to see you! You MUST come to Perpetual Indulgence and also you MUST come with me to Canes, it's my new addiction.

plbd and eating erin's baked amazingness,
kathy