Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Nothing to do but daydream of John Mayer.

"My baby takes the morning train.
He works from nine to five and then
He takes another home again
To find me waiting for him."
-- Sheena Easton, Morning Train

When it comes to getting work done, I've always been pretty efficient. I was usually the first person to finish every test, I can knock out an A-level five-page paper in a couple of hours, etc.
That is, I'm efficient once I make myself sit down and start a project. I tend to subscribe to the philosophy of "works best under pressure", which is a fancy way of saying, "I like to procrastinate, but I'll still get things done and on time."

So imagine how weird it feels to be sitting here on my second day of work writing this little blog to you at 9:30 in the a.m., not because I'm putting off some action item, but because I really have done everything I need to do. At least without other teammates sending me their pieces of the project to put together. It could have something to do with the fact that I worked 11 hours yesterday. At the time, it just seemed easier to get the job done rather than set it aside and come back, but now I've learned my lesson. Thought it was nice to stroll in this morning, knowing there was nothing big looming over my head.

Now that I think of it, I haven't told you anything about work, have I? Well, I absolutely love my coworkers, for one thing. It's probably a good thing that a certain few of us have desks spread around the office, because this level of efficiency would drop drastically if I was constantly surrounded by those crazy new friends of mine. Speaking of desks, mine is HUGE. As in, I don't even use half of it. With two phone lines. And it's in a pretty nice location, though I'm slightly jealous of Justin's giant window view.

So far, it looks like a typical day of work for Emily is going to include plenty of time on the headset phone, lots of Pandora stations (a QuickMix of Jason Mraz, Sara Bareilles, Arcade Fire and MIKA is my favorite), more Excel spreadsheets than should be legal and, not to be punny, but tons of legal pads. I like that. I also like walking past Madison Square Garden on my way to work every morning. It just keeps a little of that "I'm working in NYC" magic going.

Okay, hopefully that was a more satisfactory post than the last couple. I'm going to try to fill the hours until my call this afternoon with decorating my desk, scrounging around for spare office supplies and sharing my newfound SLX skills. Not to mention the activity mentioned in the title of this post. ;)

2 comments:

Jordan said...

I'm so jealous of you Emmy. Not necessarily for the living in NYC part, which it's safe to say that I am jealous of. But for the fact that you're starting your life. And that you're doing really well. I can run around Europe until I'm blue in the face, but I'm not really making a difference anywhere. You are doing great things Miss Westbrooks, and I can't wait to FINALLY talk to you in person about all of this! (I'm having some pretty serious Emily Westbrooks withdrawals right now, and it's killing me. Seriously.)

Samantha said...

cell phone chair is now officially added to the list of things I am going to send to you soon. You'll need one for desk decoration. All the cool kids do it. Trust me I know. And I know what you mean about that works best under pressure business. I spread out my work, and still get it done. so i'm now the resident google master...not to mention news junkie and not just celeb news either.

p.s. what are your thoughts on ucla law school?