Monday, August 18, 2008

I'm gonna lose all kinds of indie cred for this...

Katherine has her heartsongs, and Megan has her theme songs. So my hybrid version of two (for the current moment) is this amazing album I had forgotten how much I loved.

Please buy, burn, DL or otherwise treat your ears to Keep It Together, by Guster. If you aren't already super music savvy, that is. (And you could even be behind the curve and still be up to date on this one; the album is from 2003. I can vividly remember buying this at Best Buy in McKinney. Weird.)

Some key listens that particularly speak to me:

"But you can't hide standing under these stars.
They know everything - they know where you are.
You're in your head you're all turned around with it,
And they're shining down their light to bring you back again."
- Careful

"Ramona, you're Miss Oklahoma,
and you miss Oklahoma.
I'll get you what you want."
- Ramona

"And the boats went out at night,
and the choppers in the sky,
They searched but they could find no trace of us.
So far away from everyone
and everything starts today."

- Keep It Together

"I'm awake, you're still sleeping.
The sun will rise like yesterday.
Everything that we are now
Is everything we can't let go
Or its gone forever, far away
I hope tomorrow is like today."
- I Hope Tomorrow Is Like Today

I know this post is random and out of character, but remembering that I had this little gem on my iPod just saved me from pulling my hair out during a very stressful day at work.

So consider yourself educated, retroactively. I'll consider myself tranquilized.

1 comment:

kolls said...

"...singin' a new song now / and every word sounds the same..."

Do you have Lost and Gone Forever and... the first two albums? (The names are escaping me.) The live version of "Mona Lisa" off the first album is what got me hooked on Guster sophomore year of high school - my all-time favorite concert was seeing them in Dallas with seven of my friends. We were the ONLY people in the audience to see Guster, so they chatted with us, sang, we got to sing onstage with them, etc. Ryan went to Berkner, one of our rival high schools! So... they're very close to my heart :)