Tuesday, May 13, 2008

People have the right to fly...

... And will when it gets compromised
Their hearts say "Move along"
Their minds say "Gotcha heart"
Let's move it along.

--John Mayer, Wheel


I graduated. I am an alumna of the University of Oklahoma. Officially.

And so much has happened between my last post and now. I’ll try to catch you up. Thursday I took my last two finals of my collegiate career – no more tests! I think I did well, despite my best efforts to not be prepared. I had sort of made the decision that hanging out with my friends was more important to me than studying for a couple of tests that didn’t really matter. I think I made a wise choice.

Then that led to the weekend, full of all kinds of graduation festivities. Friday night was Commencement, which actually turned out to be a lot of fun. Memorable moments from that include:
The CAC photo shoot
Adam and Sarah being rebels and sitting in the Gaylord section
Jordan and I texting each other the same message simultaneously
William Cohen talking about the Mont and arĂȘte
Gaylord College doing the wave and screaming constantly

And Friday night brought one final trip to the Mont and to jump the fence to the Reserve hot tub. There’s nothing like staying up until 5 a.m. every night for basically two weeks straight.

Saturday was my actual graduation, and most of the day was spent in preparation. The ceremony flew by. The Bateman kids all sat together, and I enjoyed graduating between my Student Media friends (Staci and Ashley) a lot. Afterwards was lots of cookie cake, champagne and then to Charleston’s for my graduation dinner.

That night brought the first really hard goodbye. But, like Kely said, it’s really not goodbye. I miss you guys a ton, and I can’t wait to hear about your adventures in France! That’s all the detail I’m going into about that, because it makes me too sad to talk about. We ended the night in our typical classy style, and had a giant slumber party at Phi Delt.

From that point, the emotional stuff had to go on hold, because it was time to pack up all my belongings into two cars and a U-Haul. This is quite the feat, but we got it all accomplished, with the help of my entire family plus a few really great friends. After the packing was all done, and a couple more teary “see you laters”, it was time to hit the road. We headed to Paris, packed everything up there, visited family and friends, and then it was off again this morning. I’m now sitting in a hotel outside Nashville, about five hours away from what will be home for the next six weeks.

It’s been a real whirlwind of activity and emotion, and it still hasn’t all completely sunk in. I just know that it feels incredibly weird to be eating meals without one of my best friends there, or to not have slumber parties and snuggle up with one (or two or three) of them at night. Or to not see all their smiling faces every day. But I keep reminding myself that for every memory, there’s a dream to unfold. As cheesy as it might sound, I’m ready. I’m scared and still a little saddened, but I’m ready. And I love you all immensely.

More insightful and/or exciting posts to come, but I wanted to get this all written down before too much happened. Peace and Facebook pokes.

"Slowly drifting into a peaceful breeze
Tounge-tied and twisted are all my memories
Celebrating a fantasy come true
Packing all my bags
Finally on the move
I'm leavin' today
I'm living it, I'm leaving it to change"
- Christina Aguilera, Cruz

3 comments:

Jordan said...

What a great week it was! I've never been this tired in my entire life, but each and every 5 am night was worth it! :)

Samantha said...

I still can't believe that you're in Tennessee and I'm in Oklahoma. How's the Biltmore treating you?

LA said...

you're going to do great things in NYC, little! can't wait to hear all about them.