Tuesday, May 27, 2008

High/Low

"I'm awake, you're still sleeping
The sun will rise like yesterday
Everything that we are now
Is everything we can't let go
Or it's gone forever, far away
I hope tomorrow is like today"
--Guster


I remember my pledge semester in Phi Lamb going to a Bible study at Jen Battle's house with a bunch of crazy girls like Amy Draper, Kelsey Schwarz, Kristan Williams and a few more. It was a lot of fun laughing at the 80s hairstyles on the Beth Moore videos, dodging Felipe the devil cat, and spending some quality time with godly girls. The reason I'm thinking of it now is that I first learned about the concept of "high/low" at these weekly meetings.


High/Low simply means that everyone goes around and tells the high point of their week and the low point. It doesn't matter where it falls on the scale of seriousness vs. silliness; the only rule is that everyone HAS to have a high, even during the roughest weeks. And during weeks when everyone was walking on sunshine, coming up with lows was a pretty hilarious challenge.

Since then, we've done high/low in most of my covenant groups. (Gosh, remember our crazy cov group from that spring, Miss Tarr?) And we always at least attempted it in our officer meetings this year. Now, in our weekly update emails (yes, we do that - aren't we precious?) the tradition has continued. So I'm going to let you in on my high/low at the moment. I actually always start on the low, to end on a happy note, so here goes!

LOW: I got hit by a pretty solid wave of homesickness this week. It's the first round of significant events since I've been gone and I feel like I'm missing out on being there (Norman, that is) for some important things for my friends. I understand that there's a time for everything, and I wouldn't trade this opportunity I have in on another year in Norman (though I wish I could sometimes), but that doesn't make it easy to go so long without seeing my people, hearing their voices, or even talking to some of them at all.

HIGH: I don't want to jinx this, but I have a pretty good lead on a place to live in New York. It sounds like it encompasses pretty much everything I was hoping to find - so now I'm just crossing my fingers that this isn't too good to be true. But if it does work out, then all that's left to do is just get the heck up there and I'll be a New Yorker!

So what's your high/low?

5 comments:

Princess Melissa said...

Low: getting stressed out about having to clean/unpack/do laundry/housework but not having enough time to do it all

High: Having lunch with Devon's mama on Monday - she made us Korean food and it was so yummy!!

I hope you're having a great day!!

Katherine said...

High: I like my new job. It's relaxed and I don't have to answer the phones much at all.

Low: I resorted to using Netflix for my Medium season 3 fix...i tried watching it (illegally) last night and it wouldn't work...

rachel332 said...

Low : I HATE packing! It stresses me out and I always feel like I have an insufficient or overlysufficient amount of stuff.

High : I leave for CT on Friday! Leaving the fam, the 918 AND 405, to live in a different part of the country that you will be joining shortly! i CANNOT WAIT!

Loveyou. <3 .

Samantha said...

Low: Sicker than a dog this weekend while at the in-laws. (In-laws not part of the low)
High: Old Navy had a huge sale this weekend and I can now double side copy at work. My hippie ways make one step further for the cause of paper.

Anonymous said...

high: ross' birthday, and getting to move into my new apartment. Oh, and finding a $75 check from christmas 8 years ago that the bank wouldn't cash but my parents would :D

low: you being gone, fucking packing (sorry about the language, it's totally necessary for this situation) having no air-conditioning in the new place when I moved. Missing you...yeah, that's a pretty big part of it