Tuesday, March 17, 2009

It lived up to the hype.

When I last left you, I was on pins and needles waiting for the weekend. Well, it measured up to the hype.

As you might have gathered by now, I'm a little obsessed with Broadway shows. Similarly, you might have noticed that I'm becoming addicted to Billy Elliot. I had been keeping up with the rotation of who played Billy which night because I really wanted to see my favorite actor in the role again. (By the way, none of you even attempted to guess which was my favorite when I posed that question, so I'll just tell you: It's Kiril. The blonde one.)

So, Kiril was on Friday night and I got myself a ticket and went. Yay payday! He was just as fabulous as I expected him to be, and his "Electricity" was phenomenal as ever. Something funny I noticed was that Kiril really likes to milk the occassions when Billy curses on stage. For example, there's one line where Billy usually says, "I nah, I nah (that's "know" in a Geordie accent), bloody hell." However, on Friday, Kiril said, "I nah, I nah, for f*ck's sake." Of course, his second line in the entire show begins with that pleasant little word, so it wasn't a shock to hear, though it did kind of make me giggle that I noticed it.

Last note on Billy... I kind of adore Matthew Mindler, the 7-year-old who plays the role of (I kid you not) "Small Boy" in the show. He wants to sign everyone's Playbill, though he obviously has just learned to write his name. And even though it made me feel like a 12-year-old, I got a picture with Kiril at the stage door. I'm a dork, but I'm okay with it.

Then Saturday, I began a massive project I had been planning: spring cleaning. I literally took every item I owned out of my room besides my bed and my shoes. By the time I got everything but the bed out, there was no room anywhere else in the apartment to move the bed anyway. And like I would really get rid of any of my fabulous shoes? I scrubbed the place down and was very picky about what made it back in. My decor got downsized and I rearranged furniture, so it also looks a little different too. The best part, however, is that my closet has so much more room in it now. The biggest space adjustment for me in NYC has been the battle with closet space, so every tiny victory is worth celebrating.

All in all, I was at it from about noon until 5 a.m. on Sunday, so it was quite a day. Now, I should clarify that I am prone to distractions like Facebook and The Girls Next Door on E!, so it wasn't like it took 17 consecutive hours. I'm so glad I got this project completed before spring officially begins on the 20th!

Then, after going to bed so late on Saturday night/Sunday morning, I was actually up-and-at-'em suprisingly early on Sunday. I wanted to finish up a few errands before heading downtown for the event I had been so highly anticipating for weeks. Right before I hopped on the train heading downtown a little earlier than really necessary, my friend from NJ texted me saying he was killing time in Manhattan and wanted to know if I'd like to hang out. Unfortunately, I didn't make it in time because I got distracted listening to a certain Matt Doyle singing on my iPhone and got on the wrong train. Can I just tell you that makes twice in one week I've carelessly ended up in Queens because of a train mistake? Lame.

Oh, so you wanted to know what the highly anticipated event was? HAIR on Broadway. I am such a hippie at heart, and I simply ADORE the music from the show, but I had yet to see a production. I was especially excited to be going with a fun group of people from Student Media at OU. They were in town for the CMA conference (still are, technically), and my former adviser knows about my love of theatre and invited me to come along. I even had a surprise friend there, Lizzy from Phi Lamb, who I didn't know was coming on the trip!

I could gush about how much I loved HAIR for pages and pages, but you still wouldn't get the full feeling of how fantastic this show is. Sure, it really doesn't have much of a plot, and maybe some of the themes are a little controversial for the blue-hair crowd, but I had the time of my life seeing it. And, I might have mentioned that I have a ticket to the Opening Night performance, so now I can't wait for March 31. Our entire group was just enthralled by the performance, and a highlight was definitely Will Swenson walking across our aisle on the backs of the seats, and pausing in the middle of the song to ask me, "How are you doing tonight?"

We hung out afterwards at the stage door to meet all of the cast. Again, could devote pages to their talent and how fun/kind they are, but I won't. After I get my latest pictures uploaded, I'll share some with you - especially the super cute one of Gavin Creel and me. Seriously, I might have to crop him out of it and use it as my Facebook profile pic. Just sayin'. Then it was time for a late dinner at a cute little Hell's Kitchen diner, complete with flirty NYPD officers at the next table. All the Student Media girls were crushing.

So, that's how my weekend lived up to the hype provided by a dorky dancing Brad Pitt gif.

Sidenotes: Monday wasn't too shabby either. I ended up meeting up with the friend I missed because of the Doyle-subway-distraction event and we watched the EPIC new Gossip Girl. And today was St. Patrick's Day, which I LOVE! I even got to catch a quick glimpse of the parade, and I had a cupcake from my fav bakery with Shamrock sprinkles. Oh, and I've had two job interviews so far this week. (Like how I snuck that one in there?) As always, I promise more updates on my life sooner rather than later, but for now I'm actually feeling quite under the weather and am determined to be in bed before midnight.

Slainte and good night!

ETA: I always forget to tag my posts and have to go back in and edit them.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

I wanna see new pictures of this newly spring cleaned room!! And I miss you...like major.