Tuesday, January 26, 2010

When Emma asked me if I wanted to go to the 7:30 RSO with her, I said I shouldn't because I already had tickets to the 9:30 show and I figured that once was enough. Well, after seeing it, I kind of wish I had gone to both.

I'm getting ahead of myself, though. You probably don't know what RSO is, if you're reading this. Rated RSO is a show that the composer Ryan Scott Oliver (see what he did there?) has been doing since last summer, featuring music from shows he has composed and other projects. It just so happens that some of my favorite people have also been attached to this project, which is what piqued my interest in the first place. It was just lucky that his music happened to be fantastic too.

The energy in Joe's Pub was off the charts last night - maybe it was a result of this being the "last" of the series, or the fact that there were so many amazing people involved (the cast was larger than usual, and all incredibly talented), or the fact that I knew half the audience or some combination of those factors. But it was an incredible night. There were a ton of songs I already knew, which were performed beautifully and at times by new singers, but there were also some stunning new songs I had never heard. "The Odyssey" was one of those, and it was absolutely gorgeous.

Of course, I am still holding out hope that the next show from Mr. Oliver will include a repeat performance of "Cut You a Piece", or that it will at least go up on YouTube.

And then I pretty much overdosed on love after the show ended, but I won't get into that here.

3 comments:

Samantha said...

Glad you had a good night!

Kimberly Lew said...

Hey! Thanks so much for the comment. I've been trying to explain how amazing Rated RSO was to people who weren't there and don't know Ryan Scott Oliver's work, but I don't think words can quite capture it. Glad to hear from someone else who got to experience it... the audience was awesome! Also, how incredible is "The Odyssey"?

Megan said...

I'm revamping my blog, just so you know! Love you!